T20 Batting Strategy

by Coach Pybus
(AVINASH, DUBAI)

HI SIR,
THIS QUESTION IS FROM A WHOLE TEAM WHO STARTED TO PLAY 20-20 CRICKET RECENTLY. SIR I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS FOR YOU REGARDING THIS FORMAT OF CRICKET. HOW TO PLAY POWER PLAY WHILE BATTING FIRST, HOW TO PLAY POWER PLAY WHILE BATTING SECOND, WHAT IS THE STRATEGY TO RESTRICT THE OTHER TEAM BELOW 150. HOW CONTROL FLOW OF RUNS WHILE FEILDING. WHAT IS THE STRATEGY WHILE CHASING SCORE OF 160 AND ABOVE HOW TO CHASE SCORE OF 200 AND ABOVE. THE WICKETS WE ARE PLAYING IS GOOD BATTING WICKETS. ACTUALLY WE WON 4-5 MATCHES BUT WE LOST 8-9 MATCHES TOO. THE MATCHES WE LOST WE WERE EITHER CHASING A SCORE OF 170 – 240 RUNS.

Comments for T20 Batting Strategy

Dec 25, 2014 T20 Batting Strategy
by: Coach Pybus Hi Avinash, you need to attack the power play, I recommend the openers take a couple of overs to get a look at the bowlers and get themselves in, whether batting first or second.Its easier to attack the power play when the batter is set and has faced 10-12 balls. You still attack the bad ball but look to defend and rotate strike on the good balls.

Use overs 1-3 to get in and then attack overs 4-6, you can make up for the slightly defensive approach for the first 18 balls of the innings.

To defend 150 you need to have skilled bowlers who can change their pace and have good variations.

Watch the opposition batters and see if they are front or back foot players, bowl to their weakness as much as possible.

Make sure the bowlers bowl to one side of the field, off side or into the pads, set the field to one side and challenge the batters to hit the ball on the ground to inner or outer ring fielders.

When chasing any batting target, you need to be ahead of the run rate at 10 overs. The top order batters need to be given responsibility to win the game.

Best wishes Coach

Join in and write your own page! It’s easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Coach ?

Richard Pybus

About Richard Pybus

I'm Richard Pybus, I've coached Pakistan, Bangladesh, Middlesex, Titans and the Cape Cobras in South Africa and the goal of this site is to help you to play winning cricket.